Monday 2 January 2012

FACES

WraithWraith II
Reading
The Faces brief gave us a list of words to draw either from life or imagination. With the daunting prospect of figurative drawing I chose to interpret the instructions differently. Instead of drawing the faces of people, I decided to draw the faces of the words as surfaces, as in the face of the earth, or a face of a cube. The two words I found most interesting were Wraith and Reading.

Both words were approached initially with ink and water. With Wraith I aimed to capture the transient nature of the word - neither alive nor dead, solid nor vapour. Trapped. Using ink experiments moving from water to pure ink, I then drew this transition to permanently solidify the word.

For Reading, again I approached it with ink, applying ink to my finger tips and navigating pages of blank paper leaving marks. I drew from the marks and arranged them in a sequence, likening the the movement of our hands and eyes to a a type of narrative.

Pencil, assortment of paper sizes

No comments:

Post a Comment